Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Arrival in Nepal

My son is of the opinion that due to my hat and my sunglasses, I am still single. I am quite sure there is no truth to that.

I have arrived in Nepal It is a minor miracle, I think. I was so crazed when I left that I did not write down the name, address or phone number of the monastery I was going to nor the name of the travel agent/ taxi service who was picking me up. I had no Nepalese money. I flew from Joradan all night to Delhi arriving at 4AM Delhi time to fly out at 6AM. And yet, when I arrived, after standing in line for an hour to get my visa, Indra was outside w/ a sign waiting for me. Unbelievable. I almost cried.

So I am making my way here. There is a man who works at the monastery, not a monk but equally devoted, I think, and most kind. Today he took me to the bank, showed me around, including this internet cafe, and answers my questions.

It is another world. The roads are questionably paved or are dirt, as wide as a country lane, no sidewalks yet pedestrians, bicycles, buses, cars and motorbikes all zip around one another. They honk at each other a lot, abit like car conversation, I have come to think of it.

I love it.

There is so much to see that my eyes get a bit overwhelmed. When I walk I want to see and do everything, then one I go back to the monastery, I want to sit and be quiet.

3 comments:

  1. Mom you're single status is not due to a silly hat or glasses- I suspect it's all this traveling with your son who wants to hit on a gal with her 25 year old in tow! He's cramping your style ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,

    Have fun! I'll write more later.

    Love,

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy to read your descriptions. I have always wanted to visit Nepal-or at least for the past 40 years. Good for you. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete